Like many researchers, having followed many lines in my own family tree, I was keen to find a new challenge. My maiden name was Sarginson and so I decided to see what other families there were, starting in Yorkshire, with the same or similar name. So far I have discovered Sarginsons (or similar) in all three Ridings of Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and further afield.
East Riding of Yorkshire
My own family can trace their links back within the East Riding and I have also found families around Hotham, South Cave/Eastrington, Holme upon Spalding Moor and Cottingham. As I complete my research I will add copies of these trees to this site. So far there are sub-pages for:
- My own tree – focusing as a start on George Sarginson my grandfather.
- Holme on Spalding Moor – a small group of people with a different surname variant.
- South Cave and beyond – a family group some of whom left the UK to go to Canada and then the USA.
- Hotham – which includes a family who ran the Hotham Arms in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Cottingham, Sculcoates, Hull and beyond – includes a number of people who worked as fishermen and in the fish trade.
West Riding of Yorkshire
This is an area I have yet to make much progress with. However I did come across a number of Serjeantsons in the Snaith parish records and discovered that they have a significant presence in Snaith/Wakefield and Hanlith (West Riding).
North Riding of Yorkshire
I am currently working on two possibly related trees and will update this site when my research has been completed.
Please note that all information in the trees has been sourced from FreeBMD and other sources: